Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Whipped Cream Cake




This cake is so elegant in its simplicity that its existence is obviously only possible with Rose's magic touch, one more time. The occasion is her use of the butterfat found in cream instead of butter added; and then her increase in salt, and decreased sugar and baking powder. I was fascinated by this, although I am certainly no chemist. Just astonishing to me that it would occur to her even consider such a thing that she calls, "just a nip and a tuck."

So, I just followed directions, one more time.

Mis en place:
I acquired a very pretty fluted Nordic Ware bundt pan. I wish they would make little tabs on the side with holes for hanging. I am out of storage space - besides, they would make a great statement, hanging as a collection. And then there are my other acquired baking collections, i.e. liqueurs, sugars, flours, chocolates, etc. I am quite attached to these expanding collections. The problem is the space.

The picture is of my husband holding the mould inside a plastic trash bag to spray it with Baker's Joy. I have forgotten who shared this trick, but whomever it was, many thanks, for obvious reasons.


Everything moved along as it should have - even the eggs were spot-on 150 grams.



I attempted to pierce the bubbles that might exist by going into the batter with a small spatula.

In the oven, the cake batter began to have volcanic- appearing, rising bubbles; I just gulped and hoped for the best.


Fears assuaged - the cake emerged beautiful - golden brown as it pulled away from the sides, I had very little to do to loosen it.




The color was luscious, and just asking for a dusting of powdered sugar ---




For a little decor, I used Tiptree Lemon Curd as well as American Spoon Food raspberry for raspberry coulis.

Thanks to Rose for these tips for in a pinch.

It's interesting how guests are just delighted by simplicity. I have read other comments from our bakers who felt the same about this cake. For us, also, it was a very special Saturday evening dessert to present!

*I did also serve dollops of whipped cream,
to the delight of the baby boy.

7 comments:

  1. Bravo and congrats on the Heritage Pan!!
    Great plastic bag trick. I spray my pans over the sink or open dishwasher door, but I'll remember this next time.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it that much. And I see you got the Heritage Pan. It's beautiful. Isn't it great when the cake is so simple and yet so delicious, that all it needs is a mere dusting of powdered sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Patricia and Hanna! The pan is so pretty-I am glad I got it. Hanna, this weekend comes your other favorite, the lemon poppyseed. I know I will love it, and can use this pan again. After that, need to take a look at our calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the pan purchase, and on a great-looking Whipped Cream Cake. Heritage Bundt lust is spreading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, Nancy. I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't go wrong with the lemon poppy seed cake!! I tell ya! :o) I'll be making it for a friend's bday in 2 weeks. It's his fav! Might serve it with lemon curd on the side (for those who want an extra lemon punch!) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I ordered some new bundt moulds today, so looks like a lot of bundt cakes for me -- I have a pretty Nordic Ware loaf pan with lemons etc on the top, but not large like the 10 cups. I wonder if I could just make the full recipe and fill the load pan and just just the extra for muffins in my lekue, or will splitting the recipe cause different chemicals to act up - maybe this is why there is a Rose factor?

    ReplyDelete