Monday, August 9, 2010

The Plum and Blueberry Upside-Down Torte



This luscious creation was beautiful, beckoning – For me, it was among our least difficult preparations. The Green Gage plums' pits held their ground until I decided the cut the slices all around, and then pried them loose - it was worth it as the honeyed juices came forth. The blueberries were plump and sweet.

The 10 x 2" pan worked fine. 
Caramelizing went well. I didn’t use my copper sugar pot this time. It provides great heat. That same great heat manages to permeate three silicone mitts at a time, however, so I have resorted to a cool-handled, nonstick small pot. I am finding, also, that the Thermapen temperature-taking over and over is also very hot. So, I took fewer temps and watched more for color and even scent. That worked for a lovely medium amber.
The batter was easily put together in the food processor; then placed atop the blueberries. Even with the oven set at 355’ the cake was taking more time than it should. Finally at 50 minutes it appeared not quite done, tested to be 200’+. Although I was concerned, I gave in and quickly removed it. It’s still a constant oven battle. I am threatening 360' next time.
Finally, in spite of my concerns, the torte turned out beautifully. Served with whipped cream, stabilized with cream cheese and creme fraiche, it was greatly enjoyed by all. 
                                     

13 comments:

  1. Looks delicious with the dollop of cream! I love your serving plate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks amazing! I am in awe of you! You can see all of the hard work and love that went into this yummy creation. And that topping-wow-I would break my diet for a slice of this cake. Just don't tell on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! Did you find your greengage plums in a market or fruit stand? The whipped cream with cream cheese and creme fraiche sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Lucious creation" - that's the perfect way to describe this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to hear about your battle with your oven! At least you seem to "win" every time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thanks for all the caring support! My husband found the Green Gage plums in our marvelous Central Market here in San Antonio. They do have a honey flavor. The cake stand is an old cobalt stoneware piece I had thrown in San Diego about 40 years ago and I use it seldom but thought it nice for this cake. It is really heavy. And, Monica, I worry about boring you with the stove saga, but just want to say my experience so it may help someone, or so someone can help me. Britt - keep dreamin' : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake turned out so pretty and I love the cake plate too. I'm so impressed that you made it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ב''ה

    As always, over the top-well done! Really looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw shucks, Mendy, my sweet rooter! Yours was fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leah, thanks for coming by and for your compliments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so good. I must make this cake, I think my husband would go crazy for it. You did a beautiful job and I love your topping choice. YuMMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joan, I responded to your question on my blog. Feel free to email me with additional questions at HanaasKitchen [at] live [dot] com. Happy baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one gorgeous torte. Great choice of fruit for the topping.

    ReplyDelete